Sabtu, 14 April 2012

Interview report...assignment sem 1

Title: Interview report on a local doctor, Dr Kook Zhuang.
Introduction: Since the person being interviewed works as a doctor, the topic for this interview is mostly about care and concern towards the epidemic and also the pathway to succeed in doctor career.
Biography of interviewee:
Date of birth: 8th February, 1980 in Alor Setar
Childhood and early education:  He is the 3rd son of Kook Jian, who was an engineer working in PETRONAS. Born in the lap of luxury, he had all the material comforts and opportunity which were beyond the means or other boys of his age. At the age of eight, he went to the English school in the Kedah, now known as the Sultan Abdul Hamid College. Later, he studied at the Debsurin School in Bangkok and the Penang Free School. In 1999, he continued his studies at St Catherine’s College in London. He was then entered the Medical School in Egypt and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in medical field. He then proceeded to study dermatology. During year 2004 till 2005, he served as a medical trainee at Government Teaching Hospital in Egypt. In 2008, he finally holds the post as a Master’s degree in the field of dermatology. Now, he is working in his own clinic using his expert knowledge.
The report:
  It was 1st in the June, and I was waiting in the Kook’s Clinic as I had made an appointment with Dr. Kook Jian, having interview. I arrived an hour earlier to make sure all things were ready. It was 2:30pm and below was the conversation between us.
ME: Good afternoon, Doctor Kook, and thanks for your generosity to approve me to have such opportunity to interview you.
DR. KOOK: Well, you are being too courteous. Good afternoon and nice to meet you too. Let us just skip the ceremony and get into the point.
ME: Good point. Let us start as scheduled. Generally, I would ask you about your study, career and also the pandemics nowadays. So, being the first, why would you like to be a doctor?
DR. KOOK: This question reminds me about 15 years ago (chuckle). Well, during that time, it was still the era of Mahathir, who was our former Prime Minister. He is a prominent person and he stands head and shoulders above his predecessors. The winds of change brought by this formidable leader have touched every aspect of Malaysian life—economic, social, political, and cultural. He is the person I most admire and I decided to take his route to also become a doctor. I found myself not intrigued in political arena so I do not make it to my bound. Another reason leads me to become a doctor are the encouragements from the ones around me. They gave me an optical illusion that being a doctor will surely be rich. Funny, right? Although it was a lucrative reason, but it really make sense. This career has won me both money and public acclaim. But it does not mean I am a greedy person, no, don’t be misunderstanding. I have also involved myself in charity affairs. My medical ethic and even my dad also tell me that being a doctor can make a fortune easily but don’t lose my conscience. Help people when they need, that is what I hold with until now. Look at certificates (points toward the wall behind him); they were feathers in my cap when I took part in the public service tasks!
ME: Whoa! I could envisage how hard you have worked until you could garner so many certificates! Range from your participant in village events to state affairs or even international tasks, you never make an absence. From now on, I am also one of your advocators! Opss, get out of point now (both of us laugh). Ok, next question, have you encountered any difficulty during your study life?
 DR. KOOK: For this question, the answer is definitely, yes. You should know what is the obligation working as a doctor— to save people. As a doctor, I can’t put the lives of my patient at risk. It is not a gamble whether it is head or tail, but it is something very different from that. That is why I say I come across plights during my study. Not to mention the high level of paper test, the critical mental test is more important and also inevitable for a doctor. Without passing the test, student will never be admitted as a legal doctor. The test includes the lesson of accepting dead. That was the most fearful one and I had experienced it and I am ready now. Cool, right? I have always been like this (grinning with pride). However, perhaps, the most tiring moment was the time I was still a trainee. I needed to be 24-hour on call, even at the midnight, I was forced to wake up, although grudgingly, to treat the victims f accident or other else. And also not forget to mention, I experienced a severe cultural shock when I first arrival to there. It was not about dirtiness or others; just my missing of my motherland, my family in Malaysia, to be alone in a strange place was not an enjoyment. Everything was made by my own, and as I was new at there, no one would enquire about my needs or reassure my apprehension. Insomnia was my accompany for the first month and I ever felt like putting down everything and flight back to Malaysia. Fortunately, the God of Mercy was still with me, I befriended with someone who was also taking the same course with me. We were in the same boat as both of us were succumbed to homesick disease. So we tagged along with each other, encouraged each other, shared our piece of mind, lifted a finger to each other, and finally, we used to the lives there. Every time I think of these, I feel very grateful and happy to have such a friend. He is definitely my best friend (with tears in eyes). Also, you know in Egypt, there was always scarce of water supply. You could not anticipate for a rain because it is something reachable but not willable. That made my life there becomes very stingy with water but you can’t truly imagine the sweltering I lived with. It is too much to be endured especially for me, who was quite tight in the belt, which meant I was quite fat during that time. For the night, it was as cold as ice out there, you could never find a figure strolling outside in the midnight, and otherwise, you might come across something you could not call it a man (chuckling again). Everyone there was thrifty with water.  I learn that there were improvement now in which water supply is gradually available and also sustainable.
ME: My mind has some resonances with your description. I could really grasp what you meant by “strange” in your remark. It is something which could only be known by someone who had experienced it, but not just a talk on the paper. I am quite touched with it and I am eager to share my encounter too, but the main character today are you, I just skip mine. Well, did you engage in active co-curriculum while you are studying? I know that the syllabus to be covered by doctor is the most complicated among all the other subjects, do you think so?
 Dr. Kook: Actually, I don’t think so. This is because every subject has its pro and cons. Your remark is only half-right that the lesson compulsory to be studied by a doctor includes many facts, but it cannot be considered the toughest. May I ask you what your course of study is? You will never describe your course as easy as ABC, since you are the one who undergo the studies right? Only you will know how hard the subject is. The comment of others? Just a stir in a cup of coffee, attention to them is unnecessary. Well, I did perform well in my co-curriculum. To tell the truth, I was the player of our country in volleyball team. Do you ever notice that I am tall? I am about 192cm. This made me the main spikier in the volleyball team. And same too, I joined the volleyball team of the university I studied in. As national player, my ability can’t be underestimated. At the same time, I participated in the English debate team of my university with my friend I mentioned just now. Being the third debater, I was responsible to allocate all the points given by both mine and the opponent parties, and find out a solution to defend my own ground. It is critical as the judges give marks mostly from the presentation of the third debater. Additionally, I was also the president of the university’s Rotary Club. Being a club in the university, its obligations were to help the needy and also propagate the new policies implemented by the government and also analysis the pro and cons of the policies and decide whether to promote it or not. These were the bulks of work of the Rotary Club. Remember that I was so proud to be crowned as the “Best President Ever” of the club. It was my greatest achievement. My name had gone down the annals in the university’s book of record and also become a “household word” of the juniors. Do you impress? (With nose pointing ceiling and grin)
Me: Well, well, do you know a saying goes “Pride hurts modesty benefits”? Just kidding, don’t take it into your heart. Truth saying, I am impressed. I wonder how you could make both ends in your study and also your participant in co-curriculum. You were able to allocate so much time out to do all these things. You are such a genius! And also the post as a president, I can just say that you do not have time to sleep to accomplish all these. Then you must be well versed in time management, don’t you? Do you mind to share your maxim to be successful in what we want to do?
Dr. Kook: My maxim is “Disciplines make everything possible”. Why I say like that? This is because a strict discipline will inculcate a stoical mind and also strong intention in doing works. Without discipline, you will just let your works heaped up without any effort to get rid of them. At the time due to date, you have no choice but to burn the midnight oil to complete all the tasks given. Many people practised such habit. However, I really can’t tolerate loafing time. I can’t let my works being undone as I will feel uneasy with that kind of circumstances. I feel a sense of insecure or a pang of remorse if I indulge myself in any amusement during that moment. Although I am eager to finish my mission as fast as possible, there are still some works need a lot of patients and also can’t be done in just one day. To cite an example, one of my home works during my life of study was to sow a green pea and record its growing course. This was a job which consumed much time. Another example, the work of interviewing as you carry out now also take quite a long time to be finished, right? From arranging the meet-and-greet to preparing the question or topic of interview, it did take some time from you, am I right? So, now, a systematic schedule is very essential. A cautious blueprint will guarantee a success in the end. Take into account everything needed to be done in the project and arrange an appropriate time for each task. Subsequently, disciplines take its role. You must ensure yourself go on as scheduled without any hesitation or remissness by holding tight to disciplines. This is the hardest because everything is easier to be said than done. Being too occupied is only an excuse for the one who does not have discipline and can’t finish his or her task given due date. This explains why I manage to take care of my study and also done well in co-curriculum. I like the saying goes “Where there is a will, there is a way”.
Me: Now I comprehend why can be so excellent. All these were due to your strong cognitive. I beat that you must be a very diligent person who ensures everything is in good condition. So as stated, you must also be very learned about your career-related knowledge. Do you know about the pandemic not long ago—bird flu?
DR. KOOK: About this question, you should read this book entitled “Avian influenza”. Below is the collating of data associated with the advice given by Dr. Kook:
Avian influenza is a flu infection in birds. The virus that causes the bird infection can change (mutate) to infect humans. Such mutation could start a deadly worldwide epidemic. The first avian influenza virus to infect humans occurred in Hong Kong in 1997. The epidemic was linked to chickens and classified as avian influenza A (H5N1).Human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1) have since been reported in Asia, Africa, Europe, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Pacific, and the near East. Hundreds of people have become sick with this virus. Slightly more than 60% of those who became ill have died. The more the avian flu virus spreads, the greater the chances of a worldwide outbreak in humans. There is a tremendous concern that H5N1 poses an enormous pandemic threat. The following people have a higher risk for developing the bird flu: farmers and others who work with poultry, travellers’ visiting affected countries, those who touch an infected bird, and those who eat raw or undercooked poultry meat, eggs, or blood from infected birds. Health care workers and household contacts of patients with avian influenza may also be at an increased risk of the bird flu. The avian flu virus (H5N1) has been shown to survive in the environment for long periods of time. Infection may be spread simply by touching contaminated surfaces. Birds who were infected with this flu can continue to release the virus in their faeces and saliva for as long as 10 days. Symptoms of avian flu infection in humans depend on the strain of virus. Infection with the H5N1 virus in humans causes typical flu-like symptoms, which might include:
·         Cough (dry or productive)
·         Diarrhoea
·         Difficulty breathing
·         Fever greater than 100.4°F (38°C)
·         Headache
·         Malaise
·         Muscle aches
·         Runny nose
·         Sore throat
If you think you have been exposed to avian influenza, call your health care provider before your visit. This will give the staff a chance to take proper precautions that will protect them and other patients during your office visit. Tests to identify the avian flu exist but are not widely available. A test for diagnosing strains of bird flu in people suspected of having the virus gives preliminary results within 4 hours. Older tests took 2 to 3 days. Your doctor might also perform the following tests:
·         Auscultation (to detect abnormal breath sounds)
·         Chest x-ray
·         Nasopharyngeal culture
·         White blood cell differential
Other tests may be done to look at the functions of your heart, kidneys, and liver. Different types of avian flu virus may cause different symptoms. Therefore, treatment may vary. In general, treatment with the antiviral medication oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or zanamivir (Relenza) may make the disease less severe if you start taking the medicine within 48 hours after your symptoms start.Oseltamivir may also be prescribed for persons who live in the same house as those diagnosed with avian flu. The virus that causes human avian flu appears to be resistant to the antiviral medicines amantadine and rimantadine. Therefore these medications should not be used if an H5N1 outbreak occurs.People with severe infection may need to be placed on a breathing machine. Experts recommend that persons diagnosed with avian flu be put in isolation. Doctors recommend that people get an influenza (flu) shot to reduce the chance of an avian flu virus mixing with a human flu virus, which would create a new virus that may easily spread. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration have approved a vaccine to protect humans from the avian flu. Experts say the vaccine could be used if the current H5N1 virus starts spreading between people. The outlook depends on the severity of infection and the type of avian influenza virus that caused it. Death is possible.
Other complications which might occur are:
·         Acute respiratory distress
·         Organ failure
·         Pneumonia
·         Sepsis
You should call your health care provider if you develop flu-like symptoms within 10 days of handling infected birds or travelling to an area with a known avian flu outbreak. At this time, the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has no recommendations against travel to the countries affected by H5N1 .However; travellers should avoid visits to live-bird markets in areas with an avian flu outbreak. People who work with birds who might be infected should use protective clothing and special breathing masks. Avoiding undercooked or uncooked meat reduces the risk of exposure to avian flu and other food borne diseases.

(REFERENCE FROM THE MEDICAL BOOK GIVEN BY DR. KOOK)
Me: Thank for your advice and it do make me more alert to symptoms of this illness. Well, I think that is what I want to pick up from you today. Thank for your cooperation, and patience and time to be interviewed. Mind to have a tea now? I play the host.
Dr. Kook: you are welcome. If you need any information, you could come and ask me again. Good luck in your work later. I don’t think I could make your company as I have an appointment later. See ya.
Me: Ok, bye.
  It was the end of my interview and I returned home to complete my report.
Interview question
1) Why would you like to be a doctor?
2) Have you encountered any difficulty during your study life?
3) Did you engage in active co-curriculum while you are studying?
4) Do you think the syllabus to be covered by doctor is the most complicated among all the other subjects?
5) Do you mind to share your maxim to be successful in what we want to do?
6) Do you know about the pandemic not long ago—bird flu?

Terima Kasih..Tinggalkan Link Anda.. ^_^

0 000 yang comey :

Catat Ulasan

terima kasih...

komentar Terbaek

Get widget here
Copyright© All Rights Reserved Pinangdansireh.Blogspot.Com